Travel Study to San Juan & Vieques, Puerto Rico
May 29 – June 10, 2017
Earn Continuing Education Credits (CECs) by enrolling in the travel study program to Puerto Rico and the island of Vieques. The UConn School of Social Work and the Puerto Rican & Latin@ Studies Project (PRLSP) sponsor this travel study experience through an exchange arrangement with the University of Puerto Rico. A group of approximately fifteen participants comprised of MSW and PhD students, alumni, and community practitioners travel to Puerto Rico every two years.
You will explore different cultural, clinical and ecosystems with a micro and macro perspective. The theoretical framework emphasized in Puerto Rico has implications for social work practice here in the United States.
The travel study program is approved for 44 CECs and satisfies the licensing requirements for content on cultural competency and veterans mental health.
While in Puerto Rico, you will:
- Engage in discussions with social work students and faculty, social work practitioners and leaders of various grassroots movements
- Visit social service agencies and community organizations
- Learn about the culture and lifestyles of Puerto Ricans
- Become familiar with the history and topography of the islands
- Engage in recreational activities